Psychiatry is the branch of medicine focused on the understanding, diagnosis, treatment, prevention of mental, emotional, behavioral, including substance use disorders.
- The Department of Psychiatry is trained in Disaster Management, an aspect rare in most institutions.
- Specialists treat all psychiatric problems, anxiety neurosis, MDPs
- Undergraduates come to this department for a one-month clinical posting. They mostly learn through observation and discussions.
- We also have facilities for de-addiction for alcoholic patients.
- At the UG level, students are required to undertake proper history taking, primary patient care, and look after both inpatients as well as outpatients under specialists supervision. Much of their learning also comes from the fact that the department organizes district mental healthcare centres and day care centres for patients. The department also allies with the World Association for Psychosocial Rehabilitation.