This refers to the specialty pertaining to partial or complete loss of sensation with or without loss of consciousness by administration of a drug, usually by injection or inhalation so as to mitigate pain especially during surgical procedures.
- The department manages the course of a surgical patient from the preoperative phase to the post-operative phase, including critical care.
- Drawing from its core of anesthesiology services, the department has extended into outpatient based Pre-Anesthesia Clinic, Theatre Based Anesthesia Services, Post-Operative Care Unit (PACU), and management of a high dependency unit like critical care (Ventilator support). The department’s services also include integral management of accidents and emergencies.
- As a part of its Acute Pain Services, the department has expanded its role and scope to cover pain management in acute situations. It has also undertaken partial and complete pain relief in chronic cases as a part of its Pain Clinic.
- The department is an indispensable part of Perinatology units for relieving labour pain.
- UGs practice elementarily, but under supervision during internship. They are then introduced to airway management and vascular access procedures.